|In 1989, Anita Smisek, OP and Joel Blahnik established Alliance Publications, Inc., a publishing house for the production of quality music for school, church, and community ensembles specializing in ethnic music, particularly Czech and Slovak. Building a bridge with composers, performers, and publishers of the Czech Republic and other international groups, Alliance Publications focuses on classical, traditional, and contemporary music, providing great latitude for various musical mediums.
API commissioned composers including Petr Eben, Zdenek Lukas, Jindra Necesova, Jiri Ropek, Josef Svejkovsky, Evzen Zamecnik, Jeronym Zajicek, and Milos Mares. API sponsored the recording of piano master classes with Czech pianist, Radoslav Kvapil. API also sponsors the recording of music compositions for band, orchestra, brass, woodwinds, and ensembles for promotional use. API is the leading publisher of works by Anton Dvorak.
Today, over 25 years later, Alliance Publications, Inc. publishes a broad array of distinctive music in contemporary, traditional, and folk formats from composers on five continents. The API catalog contains over 3,000 works in all mediums of classical and folk-art music.
Anita Smisek, OP and Joel Blahnik are both 3rd generation Czech/Americans. They conduct presentations at various universities, state and national conventions, schools, churches, and religious institutions across America. In addition, they have performed in the Czech Republic as soloists, conductors, teachers, and co-founders of music festivals.
Smisek's expertise is as vocal soloist, keyboard artist, conductor, editor, publisher, and musicologist. Blahnik works as a composer/arranger, conductor, clinician, brass performer and editor. Each has taught over 30 years in American secondary schools.
API continues to be chosen for state and national reading sessions, honor choirs, and state festival lists in throughout the USA and Europe.
We love to bring our musical heritage to audiences throughout the world. The following concert themes are available:
- Czech Classical Music
- Vocal Recital of Antonin Dvorak
- Czech Folk Art Music for Voice, Brass and Piano
We have conducted presentations at various universities, state/national conventions, schools, churches and religious institutions across America. The following subject areas are currently available:
- To Know a Culture--Go To Its Music (Czech/English)
- Sing-a-Long in Czech--"Our Czech Songs" + folk songs
- A Profile of Czechoslovak Folk Music (Czech/English)
- GIVE GLORY hymnal (liturgical Czech hymns sung in English)
- Czech Christmas Music; vocal & instrumental (Czech/English)
- Anthology of Czech Classical & Folk Music published by API
- Anthology of Religious Music published by API
- Composers & Music of the Sinsinawa Dominican Community
- Compositions of Joel Blahnik; ASCAP, internationally award-winning composer/arranger
- Music Festival Resources
- Czech Liturgical Music--all aspects
- Czech Classical Music--Past and Present
- Czech Folk Music & its Ramifications
- Conductor / Composer / Clinician
If interested in a residency, please contact us with your ideas.